We knew the day would come when Carl would get tired of the twin turbo kit power on his stock block Nissan 370Z, but we did not know it would come so fast! After about a year of driving around on 600 rwhp in Chicago, Carl contacted us to inquire about more power for his car with an initial goal of 750 rear wheel horsepower.
We chose to use our Stage 1 VHR longblock package to allow Carl to reach his target horsepower goal of 750 rwhp as the stock engine has a limitation and is not capable of achieving that power level over time. Our stage one longblock engine package includes upgraded pistons, rods, bearings, studs, gaskets, and minor headwork along with a closed deck engine block.
With any of the longblock packages that we offer, we include new timing components, water pump and oil pump as these items are relatively inexpensive when it comes to building a motor and can save an individual a lot of time and money in the future.
We chose to stick with the stock compression of 11:1 since E85 was going to be the primary fuel of choice and the OS giken triple disk clutch was going to be the clutch that would be able to handle the power and torque.
With the turbo kit mounted on the freshly built engine it was time to install it into the car and determine an intercooler that would be capable of surpassing the horsepower goal that Carl had initially set.
Upgrading the fuel system would be required to be able to supply enough fuel to the engine. We also chose Injector Dynamics 1700cc injectors and the CJM twin pump assembly utilizing the dual 450 fuel pumps to complete the fuel system.
It was now time to get the Z on the dyno for break in and also to see what power level we could achieve with the Stage 1 AAM twin turbo kit. Unfortunately with the turbos that are included in the stage 1 kit we were not able to hit Carl’s horsepower goal. It was now time to upgrade the turbos and increase the target wheel horsepower goal to 900!
Borg Warner EFR 7163 turbos were purchased and we also converted the standard internal wastegate setup to an external wastegate setup to allow for a more precise way to dial in the boost via a spring selection.
With the Z’s powerplant built, it was now time to focus on getting the power to the ground as the rear suspension components were completely stock and were in desperate need of upgrading. The stock LSD can only take so much abuse, so we decided to upgrade to the OS Giken rear differential along with our billet differential cover. SPL rear camber arms and toe arms were used along with 1200 horsepower upgraded Driveshaft Shop axles and carbon fiber driveshaft.
Prior to speaking with Carl in regards to building his Z for more horsepower, we were discussing the option of providing an intake manifold to the VHR community that would be able to make power and have an aestheticly pleasing look to it. Once Carl had decided that he was going to build the Z he wanted to be the first one to test the manifold and have it on his car, and the manifold can be seen in the photo below.
A vehicle is only as safe as it can be when it comes from the factory and with Carl going after the VHR quarter mile record he wanted to make sure that there was a cage in the vehicle to provide additional safety at the speeds that he would be doing.
The time had now come to get the vehicle back on the dyno and shoot for the 900 wheel goal that we were aiming for, and the results speak for themselves in the dyno graph below!
If you are interested in a build of this nature or have any questions about the products and services we offer, please contact us to via phone (704-839-0435), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or social media!
A video with Brian from BrosFourrSpeed: